Monday, September 29, 2008

Grocery shopping as the new luxury experience

After going grocery shopping last night, I'm not sure that anyone is going to be able to shop cheap anymore. Why?

A large jar of mayonnaise was ON SALE for $7.90. I bought the small jar, which was on sale for $3.59. I think that is what I used to pay for the large jar. 

Worse, most of the pies in the freezer case were $10. Ten bucks for a pie? I bought one on sale for $7.99, only because I needed a quick dessert for a get-together the next night; otherwise, I would not have paid $8 for a pie.

We are a middle-class family and in the past, I've never worried about buying the occasional pie when we were having guests over. In the earlier part of the year, the price of pie was hovering around $5.99, and I stopped buying them then because I thought that was too much. 

It's even worse at the natural foods store. Last week, at the funky health food store I go to every now and then (because it seemed cheaper than many of the slicker natural food stores), a 5-lb. bag of whole wheat pasty flour was $12. Organic milk was $7/gallon. The cheapest apples were $2.99/lb. I used to squirm (even last spring) at spending $5 for a 5-lb. bag of organic flour. I left with few things in my bag, mostly bulk organic teas and other things I can't get elsewhere.

This has me fleeing more and more to BJs, a wholesale club I belong to, where prices are a little better for things you buy in bulk, as long as you're not particular about whether something is organic or not. It looks like the 50/50 organic/non-organic compromise I wrote about in my Sept. 1 post is already giving way to something more like 40/60 or even 30/70.

But the worst thing in all this, for me, is that it's starting to hurt to go food shopping. Buying food used to be the one thing I could spend money on fairly guiltlessly—new clothes for me can always wait, furniture can wait, the latest DVD can wait. But food was a necessity and healthy/organic food was a reachable goal, for the most part.

Maybe it would be easier to adjust to this new price scale if our electric bill hadn't doubled this year (due to state restrictions on pricing being lifted, not on our suddenly using more electricity), gasoline wasn't hovering around $4 a gallon and our first heating oil bill of the winter is expected to be somewhere near the cost of a semester of college tuition in the 1980s.

There's something wrong when you have to examine your budget in order to buy a frozen pie. We can still manage to put wholesome food on the table, for the foreseeable future, simply by avoiding such old luxuries as high-end cuts of meat and expensive wine, and such new luxuries as frozen pie and organic grapes. Yet, we're still going to be struggling just a little bit to pay for groceries in the coming months—and we're not poor. What are poor people going to eat?

No comments: