Even if I'd had goat's cheese on-hand, I probably wouldn't make Mexican lasagna with it since it takes so much cheese--it would be very costly using goat's cheese, which can run $5-7 for a fist-size chunk.
Enchilada sauce
Adapted from: Mexican Enchilada Sauce
The cool thing about this recipe is that it adds cocoa, to make the sauce brown--didn't really taste the cocoa, so not sure if it added any flavor.
I followed this recipe, except for the following substitutions:
--1 tbsp. chili powder instead of 3, added 1 tsp. cumin
--3 cloves of garlic, chopped (since I had no garlic powder)--could easily use 5-8 cloves
--instead of 3 cups of water, I used 2 cups chicken broth, 3 cups water
--1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
Follow the recipe otherwise. Freeze leftover sauce for another batch.
Mexican Lasagna
Adapted from: Honeymoon Mexican Lasagna
I used this recipe as inspiration, and for guidelines for construction, but made it vegetarian and added brown rice since I had no turkey on-hand.
Bean Filling
Combine:
2 cans of pinto beans (better if I had made my own, cooked with garlic and cumin)
1-2 cups cooked brown rice
(optional: small can of chopped black olives)
I threw in chopped chives and a little bit of parsley from my garden, but sauteed onions or scallions with garlic would have been better
Tip:
Use a round casserole dish the size of your tortillas for easier construction.
Construction:
sauce, tortilla, bean filling, a layer of salsa, a layer of shredded cheese
Continue until you reach the top, with cheese the last thing. I wouldn't bother adding parsley to the top.
Vegan enchiladas
Using same bean filling, fill 3-6 tortillas. Put in rectangular glass casserole dish that easily holds them all, with enchilada sauce on the bottom. Put more sauce on the top. Bake with the Mexican lasagna. Serve with sour cream (vegan or otherwise).
No comments:
Post a Comment