Wednesday, July 9, 2008

A cook's (deck) garden


The sun in our yard is limited mostly to our deck, due to the towering oak trees in our south-side neighbor's yard. We also have seven deer who visit our front and back yards at least once a day, eating hosta leaves (though not hosta blooms, for some reason), any other blooms they can find, even the pachysandra which they aren't even supposed to like.

So, my garden is limited to however many pots I can put on the sunny-side of the deck. The deer can't walk up the steps to my deck or I'm sure they would have eaten almost everything I plant there.

Since the sunniest part of the deck happens to face the kitchen window where I stand and wash dishes, I've added more and more flowers to my deck garden over the years so that now I have pink Asian lilies, marigolds, pansies, a large pot of pink hibiscus (yet to bloom in mid-July), and one Black-eyed Susan rescued from the deer.

Otherwise, everything I grow is to eat. Given the limited space, I don't bother growing most vegetables but concentrate instead on herbs. I usually have two pots of basil, each with several plants, one pot each of coriander/cilantro, parsley, spearmint and chives (which have lovely purple blossom heads in early summer). This year I've added a pot of tarragon and one of marjoram, but I've never had much luck in either of these as perennials.

I also have a small herb garden on the south side that doesn't get more than 3 hours of sun a day, where I'm able to grow sage, lavender, two kinds of thyme, rosemary and oregano. These are the only herbs I've found that the deer (or slugs) won't touch.

Since the rosemary in the ground probably won't winter-over in Maryland, I am also propagating/trying to propagate herb cuttings on the deck in smaller pots to ensure their perpetuity, including rosemary and tarragon. Last year the rosemary plant wintered over just fine on the deck, shielded by one side of the house, and I planted it in the ground in the spring. There's something satisfying in trying to keep the same plant growing, like nurturing the same yogurt culture in your fridge for months at a time.

Quick Uses for Herbs

Chives
I use chives in cooking almost everything since I am somewhat allergic to white onions. PE likes to go and harvest it for me with small scissors and bring me strands which I cut in smaller pieces with kitchen shears. Good fresh on top of soups, potatoes, etc., but also added to sauces and recipes calling for onions.

Basil
I love having fresh basil in the summer. I start making pesto with it as soon as I need to thin my plantings, then make pesto every week or so using cuttings off bigger plants (basil will often grow back, so I try not to take the whole plant for cooking purposes until it's nearing winter and ready to die back anyway). I also throw fresh basil leaves on foccacia, both before and after cooking, and cut it fresh into any Italian sauce.

Cilantro/coriander
We use coriander in Thai cooking (not so much these days since kids won't eat it) and in making fresh salsa and guacamole.

Thyme
I tend to use thyme more in cold-weather cooking, which doesn't always jive with its growing season. Good with herb-roasted chicken, in soups and stews.

For more information on growing and using herbs, I strongly recommend Rodales Illustrated Encyclopedia of Herbs (listed in my Amazon widget on the web page for this blog).

No comments: